An architectural landmark turned boutique hotel, Amerikalinjen officially opened its doors in Oslo, Norway, on March 15, 2019. While Amerikalinjen was in a prime position to launch due to increased visibility and promotion of Oslo in the travel media world, along with increased air flight options from the United States, there was difficulty in obtaining awareness in the increasingly competitive hotel market. In January 2019, Amerikalinjen tasked PHG Consulting with generating awareness of the hotel’s prominent opening among target media and consumer audiences across the United States, with a goal of positioning the hotel as the number one new hotel destination to visit in 2019 through dedicated editorial coverage on the imminent opening.
PHG Consulting was tasked with executing the following deliverables on behalf of Amerikalinjen to achieve its awareness goals:
- Coordinate 5-7 meetings and interviews between the hotel’s commercial director and top editors, freelance writers, and content producers based in New York City
- Localization and distribution of press-approved materials to media secured for meetings, including the hotel press kit, background information and images
- Localization and distribution of a pre-crafted launch announcement press release to a comprehensive list of travel, lifestyle, design, food and beverage, family, wedding/romance and trade media contacts
- Reactive support in handling all incoming media queries and requests
PHG Consulting exceeded the client’s initial goals in many regards. Key results included:
- Arranged seven meetings and interviews between the hotel’s commercial director and top editors in New York City, including journalists from Travel + Leisure, Shape, New York Observer, Luxury Travel Advisor, Hotel Management, TIME and Women’s Health.
- Distributed a comprehensive press release surrounding the grand opening on March 15, 2019, which was shared with more than 1,000 target travel, lifestyle, and trade media across the United States
- Secured 12 media placements featuring Amerikalinjen in outlets including TIME, which highlighted the hotel among its “2019 World’s Greatest Places,” Luxury Travel Advisor, Forbes.com, MSN.com, PureWow.com, Domino.com, TravelAgentCentral.com, HotelBusiness.com, and HotelManagement.com
- Generated an estimated audience of more 81 million with an approximate ad value exceeding $419,000 for an ROI on the project of approximately 167:1