Nanjing, China, an easily accessible destination located just outside of Shanghai, is one of China’s most significant cities. While this former capital is a very popular domestic tourism destination, Nanjing is not as well known in the North American market. Nanjing Tourism enlisted PHG Consulting to execute an integrated sales and marketing campaign to grow trade and consumer awareness and ultimately increase arrivals, length of stay, and spend from the North American market.
PHG Consulting identified North American growth opportunities in the FIT market (specifically history buffs) and educational travel and developed a fully integrated program to help the destination gain traction in the United States and Canada.
- Assisted local receptive operators in creating new product tailor made for the North American market
- Represented Nanjing at events such as the United States Tour Operator Association annual convention, the Educational Travel Consortium, and International Media Marketplace
- Identified and assisted select North American tour operators in creating new itineraries that include Nanjing
- Educated Asia-specialist travel agents on Nanjing
- Organized FAM trips for qualified travel trade professionals and media
- Launched GoToNanjing.com as an English-language resource for consumers and the travel trade
- Created and managed engaging Facebook and Instagram channels
- Leveraged relationships with well-known digital content creators to obtain high-quality video and photo content with a compelling narrative
- Managed ongoing proactive and reactive media relations
- Increased arrivals from the North American market along with length of stay and spend, solidifying Nanjing as a desirable tourism destination in China
- Generated more than 1,400 positive media placements, equaling nearly 1.3 million impressions
- Met social media growth and engagement goals through captivating and visually appealing content