The state of Yucatán, often confused with the Yucatán Peninsula and overlooked by North American travelers, was seeking to raise awareness of its distinctive cultural experiences, historical significance, innovative cuisine, and unique accommodations.
Create an integrated marketing and PR program to educate tour operators, travel agents, and top-tier media on the destination’s assets focusing on its natural resources, archaeological sites, historic hotels and haciendas, and charming and design-forward capital city of Mérida. The ultimate goal was to drive arrivals, length of stay and spend from the North American market.
- Created and managed training and education of local operators
- Engaged in aggressive travel trade and media outreach
- Hosted trade and media FAM trips
- Assisted local receptive operators in creating new product tailor made for the North American market
- Facilitated partnership with Historic Hotels Worldwide for qualifying hotels
- Developed English-language website and digital marketing program
- Launched and managed English-language website
- Yucatán was named one of the top 10 cities in Mexico & Central & South America by Travel + Leisure in 2016
- Sojern, a leading performance marketing platform for travel brands, identified Yucatán as one of the top five long haul destinations for spring 2017, based upon an in-depth analysis of travel intent data.
- Feature coverage published in outlets including Conde Nast Traveler, am New York, Travel Weekly, TravelAge West, and more
- Increased arrivals from the North American market along with length of stay and spend, competitively positioning Yucatán against competing destinations and effectively differentiating the destination from the Yucatán Peninsula